Currently open to part-time consulting opportunities ONLY – up to 3 days a month maximum. I can be reached at +1-647-632-1600
Salman Naqvi [2xCCIE #34355, VCP-NV, ITIL v3, BSc.]
email@example.com – +1-647-632-1600
Accomplished network engineer with 15 years of architecting, designing, implementing, operating and troubleshooting experience. Demonstrated ability to create efficiencies in IT tasks that reduce person-hours, reduce cost, and increase revenue. Hardworking, extremely dedicated, amazingly quick learner, and backed up with excellent references.
Qualifications & Training:
Double CCIE: Data Center and Routing & Switching #34355
Cisco Certified Design Expert (CCDE) – Written
VMware Network Virtualization Professional – VCP-NV
TACLANE Inline Encryptor Administrator – Certificate from WaveRate Communications
IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL® v3) Certified
Data Center Consolidation with VMware ESX 3.5/VC 2.5 and vSphere 4 @ Haadi Institute
Linux/UNIX BASH Scripting @ LinuxGenius
Sun Solaris UNIX Admin I @ Haadi Institute
Six Sigma Green Belt Preparation @ Haadi Institute
Leadership and Conflict Resolution Seminar Series @ University of Toronto
Secret II Security Clearance from PSSD, PWGSC – Government of Canada
Network Architecture & Design, Project Lead & Execution, DC Consolidation, Orchestration, Automation, Systems Support, Tier 3 Network Design & Support, Team Leadership and Process Analysis & Improvement.
Technical Architect, Shared Services Canada/Department of National Defence
July 2012 – present
– Architecting, designing, configuring and maintaining routing and switching at three DND data centers and three SSC data centers consisting of Nexus 9000, 6000, 7000, 5000, 6500 VSS, Brocade VDX 6700, HP Procurve, 3750s, 2900s, etc.
– Implementing and troubleshooting solutions that scale for millions of users across Canada, in data centres that host 10,000s of systems.
– Pioneering use of automation solutions in the department, based on Ansible as well as in-house Python scripting.
– Designing, testing and deploying WAN optimization with Riverbed Steelheads (7070, 7050, 6050) and Interceptors (9600, 9350).
– Designing and testing secure multi-tenant network and SAN solutions, utilizing VDCs, FCOE, VRFs, VMware NSX, and Cisco ACI.
– Designing, testing and deploying DCI solutions over dark-fiber and DWDM solutions utilizing OTV, MP-BGP and VXLAN.
– Researching, testing and implementing network monitoring solutions from CA, OPNet, Intermapper, and IBM Tivoli.
– Redesigning and refreshing components of existing network to add redundancy and high availability.
– Designing, testing and implementing Data Center fabric solutions – Nexus FabricPath and Brocade VCS Virtual Chassis.
– Lifecycling network equipment, including DC cores, firewalls, VPNs, WAN edge devices and management servers/appliances.
– Troubleshooting performance issues utilizing CA Spectrum and OPNet ARX. Discovered and resolved numerous chronic issues.
– Proposed and designed a new cabling infrastructure utilizing modern fiber patch panels and physically redundant cabling layout.
– Participating in Business Recovery exercises to evaluate network BR readiness along with making improvements to BR process.
– Developing processes for network Incident Management. Working with executives/clients on meeting/exceeding SLA requirements.
– While primarily working on DND clients, also working to transition other Shared Services Canada (SSC) clients into the multi-tenant data centers.
Technical Environment: Nexus 9000/7000/5000, 6500, 4500, ASA, MDS, HP c7000 Blade Chassis, CA, OPNet, ITNM, TACLANE
Role Breakdown: Network Design 30%, Network Deployment 30%, Development/Testing 20%, Troubleshooting 20%
Network Infrastructure and Operations Specialist at Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP
January 2011 – June 2012
– Configured and maintained routing and switching at two data centers consisting of 6500 VSS, Nexus 1000v, 3750s and 2900s.
– Performed level 3 troubleshooting on business critical Cisco based LAN/WAN and Cisco UC infrastructure supporting 900+ lawyers and 600+ staff in 10 offices worldwide.
– Redesigned WAN infrastructure to follow current industry best practices (including MPLS, EIGRP, QoS, dual-WAN, VPN etc.)
– Configured network components for Cisco UCS roll-out including UCS 5100 Chassis, B-series blades, Nexus 1000v, and FI 6100.
– Configured two sets of Nexus 1000v switches with vSphere in ~85% virtualized environment with 400+ virtual machines.
– Managed network performance and capacity by performing trend analysis using multiple NMS, reports and packet captures.
– Designed and implemented capacity and availability related upgrades, including virtualized I/O, backup VPN, T1s, FXO, etc.
– Configured/upgraded WAN/MPLS VPN for remote international offices in London, Beijing, Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia) and Bahrain.
– Deployed Wi-Fi network consisting of 67 access points across nine floors at the Toronto headquarters.
– Configured Multicast across the North American offices for MS SCCM based Windows 7 deployment.
– Implemented Blakes first in-house network and voice infrastructure monitoring using both Solarwinds Orion and Observium NMS. Implemented Solarwind’s VoIP/IPSLA, Netflow, IPAM, NCM, and Virtualization modules.
– Performed in-depth troubleshooting using packet captures via Steelheads, Wireshark, Orion Netflow, and other traffic analysis tools.
– Upgraded, updated and maintained Cisco UC (UCM, Unity, UCCX, UEAC) infrastructure with vendors.
– Provided Cisco UC (UCM and Unity) administration training to Level 1 and Level 2 IT staff for day-to-day administration.
Technical Environment: Cisco R&S (6500, Nexus, 4500, ASA, MDS 9100), UC (UCM, Unity, UCCX), UCS, EMC, RecoverPoint
Role Breakdown: Network Design 30%, Network/VoIP Deployment 40%, Troubleshooting 20%, Training 5%, Lead 5%
Network Engineer (contract) at Cisco Systems, Inc/Toronto Pearson Airport.
July 2010 – December 2010
– Refreshed Routing and Switching equipment at the Toronto Pearson Airport in a hybrid Enterprise/Service Provider network personally handling over $3 million Cisco equipment over the course of the project.
– Staged and deployed 92 Catalyst 6500 devices (with 10+ SUP720 10G, 80+ SUP32, 300+ 6148 cards) and 12 Catalyst 3750s.
– Tested and implemented redundancy and high availability using GLBP, HSRP, VSS, VPC, MEC and OSPF & EIGRP tuning.
– Trained in design, configuration, and deployment of Nexus 1000v and Nexus 7000 platforms with VMware/Cisco UCS integration.
– Participated in 8-week Cisco Enterprise, Data Center and Service Provider technologies training.
– Provided technical training, supervision and support to new members of the project deployment team.
– Prepared migration plan for 12 devices from CatOS to IOS – including design, validation, and implementation.
– Assisted in deployment of ONS 15454, MDS 9500 and Catalyst 3640.
– Prepared Method of Procedure (MOP), Migration Strategy, Requirements, and various reports.
– Assisted Project Manager (PM) with scheduling, organization, logistics of 800+ devices, and other administrative tasks.
– Worked in a multi-vendor environment including teams from Cisco, IBM, GTAA (Greater Toronto Airport Authority) and others.
Technical Environment: Cisco IOS, CatOS, Fibre, Optical, Voice/VOIP, Enterprise, Service Provider
Role Breakdown: Systems Staging 35%, Systems Deployment 40%, Network Design 15%, Administration/Organization 10%
NOC Team Leader at Epik Networks
November 2009 – May 2010
- Prioritized and delegated NOC team’s daily tasks and projects which supports 11,000+ VoIP and Internet/Data users.
- Provided hands-on Tier 2 and Tier 3 support for Cisco 2600, 3500, 6500, 7200 and 12000 series devices.
- Lead the NOC team through emergencies and time-sensitive incidents relating to VoIP systems requiring high availability.
- Analyzed SIP call traces (from Call Agent) and packet captures for jitter, latency, packet-drops, max delta and other anomalies.
- Worked directly with Level 2 and Level 3 support at Bell, Primus, AT&T, COX, and Paetec on various SIP trunk and PRI issues.
- Troubleshot WAN issues with Cogent, AT&T, Allstream, Qwest and Navigata on Fiber, DS1, DS3, MPLS, and Layer 2 connections.
- Deployed and managed ESXi 3.5 and Virtual Center 2.5 across two collocation facilities in Toronto and Vancouver.
- Implemented new VMs (Windows and Linux) and migrated physical machines to VM using P2V Converter (VC and standalone).
- Worked with CTO and VP Finance to implement Six Sigma and ITIL based process improvements.
- Provided NOC status ‘snapshots’ to stakeholders by reporting data collected through the ticketing/incident tracking, network monitoring, and project management systems.
- Worked with VP Operations & Project Managers to align NOC activities with project and support goals
Technical Environment: UNIX, Windows Server 2003/2008, Linux, Cisco IOS, Layer 2/3 circuits, WAN, T1/DS1, T3/DS3, MPLS
Role Breakdown: Systems Support 35%, Network Design/Support 35%, End-user support 15%, Management 10%, Reporting 5%
Senior Telecommunications Specialist (NOC) at Epik Networks
March 2009 – November 2009 (9 months)
- Upgraded, configured, and performed troubleshooting on Cisco 2600, 3500, 7200 and 6500 series devices for new projects.
- Troubleshot hardware issues with T1, T3, Switchblades, and Supervisor modules on Cisco devices including 2600, 7200, & 6500.
- Implemented use of standard configuration templates for Cisco devices to increase efficiency and decrease incidents.
- Provided Tier 2 support for network (Cisco), VoIP (Broadsoft, AudioCodes, Cisco), and other systems (Windows, Linux, Unix).
- Worked on UNIX based Call Agents to perform SIP call tracing, log tailing, troubleshooting, maintenaince and backup.
- Implemented backup and redundancy on UNIX, Linux, Windows Server platforms and Cisco IOS.
- Implemented open source phpMyFAQ Knowledge Base (Linux) to create efficiencies in various NOC processes.
- Implemented Logisense engageIP ticketing/incident management system (Windows Server 2003), and customized it to automatically prioritize tickets defined by the SLA.
Technical Environment: Open-source Linux (Ubuntu), DNS, VMware, IP addressing, TCP/IP, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, Layer 2/3
Role Breakdown: Systems Support 40%, Network Design/Support 30%, End-user support 20%, Reporting 5%, Research 5%
Exchange Migration Advisor at University of Toronto
January 2009 – March 2009 (3 months)
- Advised IT Administrators across University of Toronto in planning the smooth migration of their respective departments.
- Assisted university staff and faculty directly in migration of email and calendar service.
- Developed training and support documents (FAQs, training videos, & screen-casts) to allow users to complete the migration process.
- Assisted in setup of Blackberry devices to synchronize with MS Exchange 2007 account.
Technical Environment: MS Exchange 2007, BES, BIS, Outlook 2003/2007, Entourage, Thunderbird, UNIX, VMware, VPN
Role Breakdown: IT Administrator Advisory 40%, End-user support 40%, Documentation 20%
Telecommunications Technician (NOC) at Epik Networks
July 2008 – January 2009 (7 months)
- Provided 24/7 on-site and remote support for outages and other emergencies.
- Performed hands-on network design, installation, configuration and troubleshooting on Cisco 2600, 3500 series devices.
- Configured and provisioned 100+ MGCP and SIP based AudioCodes, Nortel, 3COM and Linksys gateways and analog adapters.
- Ensured smooth operation of Epik Networks staff computing needs by attending to connectivity, printing & shared resources issues, along with managing inventory and licenses (Windows Server 2003).
- Continued to maintain and update various servers (Linux and Windows) that were a critical component of the help.
Technical Environment: Solarwinds NPM, Nagios, Cacti, FreeRADIUS, Dell, IBM Blade, Remote Backup, NAS, SAN, HP, Java
Role Breakdown: End-user support 60%, Systems Support 30%, Network Support 10%
Help Desk Co-ordinator at Epik Networks
November 2007 – July 2008 (9 months)
- Pioneerd use of, and implemented web-based open source ticketing/incident management system (Request Tracker – Linux) to manage and complete 25+ daily tickets/incidents.
- Installed, maintained and backed up various Window and Linux based servers
- Developed expert level knowledge of Jave/UNIX based Broadsoft M6 VoIP Switch administration used to maintain changes, additions and deletions of over 3000 business VoIP customers.
- Set up Epik Networks’ first multi-staff Help Desk with staff across three cities in North America.
- Developed procedures which streamlined the handling of requests based on urgency and priority.
- Set up a call queuing mechanism to distribute incoming support calls across the three branches
Technical Environment: MS Exchange 2003, MS AD/DC/DNS Server, DNS, LAN, Spanning tree, Layer 2/3, Java
Role Breakdown: End-user support 70%, Systems Support 20%, Research 5%, Implementation 5%
Help Desk Advisor at University of Toronto
December 2006 – May 2008 (1 year 6 months)
- Troubleshooting clients’ email client(s), connectivity, VPN, wireless networking and other issues both in person and over the phone.
- Developed expert level knowledge of MS Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple/Mac Mail App, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and various proprietary wireless connection softwares.
- Helped clients resolve UTORmail (University of Toronto institutional email system) issues.
- Utilized BMC’s Remedy Incident Management System, and later transitioned to Request Tracker ticketing/incident management.
Technical Environment: Windows 98/2000/XP/Vista, Outlook 2003/2007, Remedy, Request Tracker, VPN
Telefundraiser at University of Toronto
October 2004 – January 2006 (1 year 4 months)
- Contacted University of Toronto Alumni for UofT Advancement for various fundraising campaigns.
- Often placed in the top 5 performers of the month list amongst the 90 telefundraisers.
Training Media Manager at University of Toronto
June 2005 – December 2005 (7 months)
- After submitting a detailed proposal, completed a 4 month long training video project which would aid in the continuous hiring process that the Call Centre faced. The video, entitled “The UofT Telefund Training Movie”, outlined various aspects of employment at the Call Centre and all the policies associated with it in a fun and captivating fashion. The video is viewed by all new employees in complete and clips are shown occasionally at the beginning of the shift to all current employees to aid in the continuous training process.
Database and Research Assistant at Nortel Networks
September 2000 – January 2001 (5 months)
- Developed queries in MS Access for customers using state-of-the-art hardware.
- Developed expert level knowledge of MS Access, MS Excel, MS FrontPage, MS Word and Seagate Crystal Reports.
- Co-developed and updated the Database Marketing Services department’s website.
- Acknowledged by manager as the fastest learning & most rapidly advancing co-op student.
- Co-developed a specialized 400 page information directory using Seagate Crystal Reports for internal use at Nortel Networks. This project required large amounts of data scrubbing, integrating numerous databases, and strategically designing the layout of the directory
Technical Environment: MS SQL Server, MS Excel, Access, Crystal Reports, Cluster, SAN, Dell Servers
University of Toronto
2002 – 2007
Honours Bachelor of Science
- Psychology and Near Middle Eastern Studies
12 people have recommended Salman
“Salman is a dedicated customer facing engineer who doesn’t hesitate to dive into technical tasks with focus on customer value and satisfaction. Salman exhibits natural leadership ability and is a strong team player. Salman is an asset to any team.”
— Carol Dennis, Project Management – Advanced Services, Cisco Systems, managed Salman indirectly at Cisco Systems
“Salman has an incredible work ethic. He consistently exceeds expectations and thrives on new experiences. Salman has great potential and I wish him well in his Career.”
— Regan Kerry, Chief Technology Officer, Epik Networks, managed Salman at Epik Networks
“Salman is a highly motivated individual with well honed technical and interpersonal skills. He would be a valued asset to any organisation that hired him.”
— Steve Walker, CFO, Epik Networks, worked with Salman at Epik Networks
“Salman is a progressive person who manages technical issues with professionalism and is dedicated to providing solutions to any given problem. He is technically proficient and has excellent soft skills. He is the “go to” person for information and technical solutions. Because of his technical proficiency and soft skills, it is a pleasant experience when dealing with him. I am endorsing Salman for both his technical skills and his ability to communicate effectively in a business environment.”
— Ludlow Pryce, Project Manager, Epik Networks, worked directly with Salman at Epik Networks
“Salman is the definition of integrity, honesty and superior customer service. His creativity, combined with his efficient nature has brought positive changes to Epik Networks such as implementing the FAQ knowledge base and multiple ticketing systems. Salman was also assigned to configure Cisco devices (2600, 3500 and 6500 series) for majority of my projects due to his reliable and meticulous nature. As a self motivated and ambitious individual, Salman excels at every project he handles. He has an innate ability to resolve any problem that is thrown at him in a calm and professional manner. As a team leader, he deals with emergencies, customer requests, managing Help Desk resources and projects all the while continuously improving his technical and leadership skills.”
— Ravneet Kaur, Project Manager, Epik Networks, worked directly with Salman at Epik Networks
“We relied on Salman extensively to do training and documentation. He is a very competent when it comes to both designing and implementing processes and procedures. He will work well in any company. Being around him for over 2 years now, I have never seen him once get upset at a customer, nor anger anyone for that matter in any way.”
— Ryan Werber, Sr Network Engineer, Epik Networks, managed Salman indirectly at Epik Networks
“Salman is a highly pleasant individual with a professional demeanor. His altruistic nature towards my endeavors was very refreshing. He would be a great leader or a team member in any IT team”
— Ahmed Malkawi, Network and System Engineer, Zaar Tech, was with another company when working with Salman at Epik Networks
“Salman provided me with great service. He projected great attention to detail. Problem solver and efficient. I would definitely hire his services again.”
— Yovana Ramos, was Salman’s client
“Salman is a very reliable individual who is easy to approach when it comes to any customer issue, no matter how small or complex. I could trust him to work directly with customers to drive not only the correct solution, but also to complete it in a timely manner that satisfied customers. His determination to achieve both excellence and perfection is what sets him apart from others. He is a great asset to Epik Networks.”
— Michael Vitullo, Account Executive, Epik Networks, worked with Salman at Epik Networks
“I have found Salman to be a detail oriented, helpful, courteous, people person with strong analytical and technical skills. I enjoyed working with him.”
— Tarrah Gledhill, LAN Administrator, University of Toronto, worked with Salman at University of Toronto
“Imagine your company running better. Imagine it leap frogging the competition. How do you know you have the right talent to achieve greatness? This gentleman can help you. I place Salman Naqvi in my Top Ten people I have the pleasure of working with. He takes to technology as fish do to water, effortlessly. Without his assistance and diligence and in many cases ingenuity, many mundane tasks to most, projects to some and grand schemes to others could never have come to fruition. I will always seek Salman out in the future to entice him into future working opportunities with me, for me or who knows, I for him.”
— Alexander Bata, Director of Technology, Epik Networks, managed Salman at Epik Networks
“Salman is always looking for ways to make processes more efficient and cost-effective using technology creatively. In particular, his work on creating training videos helped develop student callers skills quickly, effectively, speeding the training process, and greatly improving net results.”
— Wes Moon, Manager, Annual Programs, University of Toronto, managed Salman at University of Toronto