Currently open to part-time consulting opportunities ONLY – up to 3 days a month maximum. I can be reached at +1-647-632-1600
Salman Naqvi [2xCCIE #34355, VCP-NV, ITIL v3, BSc.]
Accomplished Network, Virtualization and VoIP professional with ten years of industry experience. Demonstrated ability to create efficiencies in IT tasks that reduce person-hours, reduce cost, and increase revenue. Hardworking, extremely dedicated, amazingly quick learner, and backed up with excellent references.
Qualifications & Training:
Double CCIE: Data Center and Routing & Switching #34355
VMware Network Virtualization Professional – VCP-NV
TACLANE Inline Encryptor Administrator – Certificate from WaveRate Communications
IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL® v3) Certified
Data Center Consolidation with VMware ESX 3.5/VC 2.5 and vSphere 4 @ Haadi Institute
Linux/UNIX BASH Scripting @ LinuxGenius
Sun Solaris UNIX Admin I @ Haadi Institute
Six Sigma Green Belt Preparation @ Haadi Institute
Leadership and Conflict Resolution Seminar Series @ University of Toronto
Network Provisioning & Design, Technical Projects Support, Lead & Execution, DC Consolidation with VMware and Virtualized I/O, Systems Support, Tier 3 Network Design & Support, Team Leadership and Process Analysis & Improvement.
Technical Architect, Shared Services Canada
July 2012 – present
– Designing, configuring and maintaining routing and switching at three DND data centers and three SSC data centers consisting of Nexus 7000, Nexus 5000, 6500 VSS, Brocade VDX 6700, HP Procurve, 3750s, 2900s, etc.
– Designing, testing and deploying DC WAN optimization with Riverbed Steelheads (7050, 6050, 6020) and Interceptors (9350).
– Designing and testing secure multi-tenant network and SAN solutions, utilizing VDCs, FCOE, VRFs, VMware NSX, and Cisco ACI.
– Designing, testing and deploying DCI solutions over dark-fiber and DWDM solutions utilizing OTV, MP-BGP and VXLAN.
– Researching, testing and implementing network monitoring solutions from CA, OPNet, Intermapper, and IBM Tivoli.
– Redesigning and refreshing components of existing network to add redundancy and high availability.
– Designing, testing and implementing Data Center fabric solutions – Nexus FabricPath and Brocade VCS Virtual Chassis.
– Lifecycling network equipment, including DC cores, firewalls, VPNs, WAN edge devices and management servers/appliances.
– Troubleshooting performance issues utilizing CA Spectrum and OPNet ARX. Discovered and resolved numerous chronic issues.
– Proposed and designed a new cabling infrastructure utilizing modern fiber patch panels and physically redundant cabling layout.
– Participating in Business Recovery exercises to evaluate network BR readiness along with making improvements to BR process.
– Developing processes for network Incident Management. Working with executives/clients on meeting/exceeding SLA requirements.
– While primarily working on DND clients, also working to transition other Shared Services Canada (SSC) clients into the multi-tenant data centers.
Technical Environment: Nexus 7000/5000, 6500, 4500, ASA, MDS, HP c7000 Blade Chassis, CA, OPNet, ITNM, TACLANE
Role Breakdown: Network Design 30%, Network Deployment 30%, Development/Testing 20%, Troubleshooting 20%
Network Infrastructure and Operations Specialist at Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP
January 2011 – June 2012
– Configured and maintained routing and switching at two data centers consisting of 6500 VSS, Nexus 1000v, 3750s and 2900s.
– Performed level 3 troubleshooting on business critical Cisco based LAN/WAN and Cisco UC infrastructure supporting 900+ lawyers and 600+ staff in 10 offices worldwide.
– Redesigned WAN infrastructure to follow current industry best practices (including MPLS, EIGRP, QoS, dual-WAN, VPN etc.)
– Configured network components for Cisco UCS roll-out including UCS 5100 Chassis, B-series blades, Nexus 1000v, and FI 6100.
– Configured two sets of Nexus 1000v switches with vSphere in ~85% virtualized environment with 400+ virtual machines.
– Managed network performance and capacity by performing trend analysis using multiple NMS, reports and packet captures.
– Designed and implemented capacity and availability related upgrades, including virtualized I/O, backup VPN, T1s, FXO, etc.
– Configured/upgraded WAN/MPLS VPN for remote international offices in London, Beijing, Al-Khobar (Saudi Arabia) and Bahrain.
– Deployed Wi-Fi network consisting of 67 access points across nine floors at the Toronto headquarters.
– Configured Multicast across the North American offices for MS SCCM based Windows 7 deployment.
– Implemented Blakes first in-house network and voice infrastructure monitoring using both Solarwinds Orion and Observium NMS. Implemented Solarwind’s VoIP/IPSLA, Netflow, IPAM, NCM, and Virtualization modules.
– Performed in-depth troubleshooting using packet captures via Steelheads, Wireshark, Orion Netflow, and other traffic analysis tools.
– Upgraded, updated and maintained Cisco UC (UCM, Unity, UCCX, UEAC) infrastructure with vendors.
– Provided Cisco UC (UCM and Unity) administration training to Level 1 and Level 2 IT staff for day-to-day administration.
Technical Environment: Cisco R&S (6500, Nexus, 4500, ASA, MDS 9100), UC (UCM, Unity, UCCX), UCS, EMC, RecoverPoint
Role Breakdown: Network Design 30%, Network/VoIP Deployment 40%, Troubleshooting 20%, Training 5%, Lead 5%
Network Engineer (contract) at Cisco Systems, Inc/Toronto Pearson Airport.
July 2010 – December 2010
– Refreshed Routing and Switching equipment at the Toronto Pearson Airport in a hybrid Enterprise/Service Provider network personally handling over $3 million Cisco equipment over the course of the project.
– Staged and deployed 92 Catalyst 6500 devices (with 10+ SUP720 10G, 80+ SUP32, 300+ 6148 cards) and 12 Catalyst 3750s.
– Tested and implemented redundancy and high availability using GLBP, HSRP, VSS, VPC, MEC and OSPF & EIGRP tuning.
– Trained in design, configuration, and deployment of Nexus 1000v and Nexus 7000 platforms with VMware/Cisco UCS integration.
– Participated in 8-week Cisco Enterprise, Data Center and Service Provider technologies training.
– Provided technical training, supervision and support to new members of the project deployment team.
– Prepared migration plan for 12 devices from CatOS to IOS – including design, validation, and implementation.
– Assisted in deployment of ONS 15454, MDS 9500 and Catalyst 3640.
– Prepared Method of Procedure (MOP), Migration Strategy, Requirements, and various reports.
– Assisted Project Manager (PM) with scheduling, organization, logistics of 800+ devices, and other administrative tasks.
– Worked in a multi-vendor environment including teams from Cisco, IBM, GTAA (Greater Toronto Airport Authority) and others.
Technical Environment: Cisco IOS, CatOS, Fibre, Optical, Voice/VOIP, Enterprise, Service Provider
Role Breakdown: Systems Staging 35%, Systems Deployment 40%, Network Design 15%, Administration/Organization 10%
NOC Team Leader at Epik Networks
November 2009 – May 2010
- Prioritized and delegated NOC team’s daily tasks and projects which supports 11,000+ VoIP and Internet/Data users.
- Provided hands-on Tier 2 and Tier 3 support for Cisco 2600, 3500, 6500, 7200 and 12000 series devices.
- Lead the NOC team through emergencies and time-sensitive incidents relating to VoIP systems requiring high availability.
- Analyzed SIP call traces (from Call Agent) and packet captures for jitter, latency, packet-drops, max delta and other anomalies.
- Worked directly with Level 2 and Level 3 support at Bell, Primus, AT&T, COX, and Paetec on various SIP trunk and PRI issues.
- Troubleshot WAN issues with Cogent, AT&T, Allstream, Qwest and Navigata on Fiber, DS1, DS3, MPLS, and Layer 2 connections.
- Deployed and managed ESXi 3.5 and Virtual Center 2.5 across two collocation facilities in Toronto and Vancouver.
- Implemented new VMs (Windows and Linux) and migrated physical machines to VM using P2V Converter (VC and standalone).
- Worked with CTO and VP Finance to implement Six Sigma and ITIL based process improvements.
- Provided NOC status ‘snapshots’ to stakeholders by reporting data collected through the ticketing/incident tracking, network monitoring, and project management systems.
- Worked with VP Operations & Project Managers to align NOC activities with project and support goals
Technical Environment: UNIX, Windows Server 2003/2008, Linux, Cisco IOS, Layer 2/3 circuits, WAN, T1/DS1, T3/DS3, MPLS
Role Breakdown: Systems Support 35%, Network Design/Support 35%, End-user support 15%, Management 10%, Reporting 5%
Senior Telecommunications Specialist (NOC) at Epik Networks
March 2009 – November 2009 (9 months)
- Upgraded, configured, and performed troubleshooting on Cisco 2600, 3500, 7200 and 6500 series devices for new projects.
- Troubleshot hardware issues with T1, T3, Switchblades, and Supervisor modules on Cisco devices including 2600, 7200, & 6500.
- Implemented use of standard configuration templates for Cisco devices to increase efficiency and decrease incidents.
- Provided Tier 2 support for network (Cisco), VoIP (Broadsoft, AudioCodes, Cisco), and other systems (Windows, Linux, Unix).
- Worked on UNIX based Call Agents to perform SIP call tracing, log tailing, troubleshooting, maintenaince and backup.
- Implemented backup and redundancy on UNIX, Linux, Windows Server platforms and Cisco IOS.
- Implemented open source phpMyFAQ Knowledge Base (Linux) to create efficiencies in various NOC processes.
- Implemented Logisense engageIP ticketing/incident management system (Windows Server 2003), and customized it to automatically prioritize tickets defined by the SLA.
Technical Environment: Open-source Linux (Ubuntu), DNS, VMware, IP addressing, TCP/IP, OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, Layer 2/3
Role Breakdown: Systems Support 40%, Network Design/Support 30%, End-user support 20%, Reporting 5%, Research 5%
Exchange Migration Advisor at University of Toronto
January 2009 – March 2009 (3 months)
- Advised IT Administrators across University of Toronto in planning the smooth migration of their respective departments.
- Assisted university staff and faculty directly in migration of email and calendar service.
- Developed training and support documents (FAQs, training videos, & screen-casts) to allow users to complete the migration process.
- Assisted in setup of Blackberry devices to synchronize with MS Exchange 2007 account.
Technical Environment: MS Exchange 2007, BES, BIS, Outlook 2003/2007, Entourage, Thunderbird, UNIX, VMware, VPN
Role Breakdown: IT Administrator Advisory 40%, End-user support 40%, Documentation 20%
Telecommunications Technician (NOC) at Epik Networks
July 2008 – January 2009 (7 months)
- Provided 24/7 on-site and remote support for outages and other emergencies.
- Performed hands-on network design, installation, configuration and troubleshooting on Cisco 2600, 3500 series devices.
- Configured and provisioned 100+ MGCP and SIP based AudioCodes, Nortel, 3COM and Linksys gateways and analog adapters.
- Ensured smooth operation of Epik Networks staff computing needs by attending to connectivity, printing & shared resources issues, along with managing inventory and licenses (Windows Server 2003).
- Continued to maintain and update various servers (Linux and Windows) that were a critical component of the help.
Technical Environment: Solarwinds NPM, Nagios, Cacti, FreeRADIUS, Dell, IBM Blade, Remote Backup, NAS, SAN, HP, Java
Role Breakdown: End-user support 60%, Systems Support 30%, Network Support 10%
Help Desk Co-ordinator at Epik Networks
November 2007 – July 2008 (9 months)
- Pioneerd use of, and implemented web-based open source ticketing/incident management system (Request Tracker – Linux) to manage and complete 25+ daily tickets/incidents.
- Installed, maintained and backed up various Window and Linux based servers
- Developed expert level knowledge of Jave/UNIX based Broadsoft M6 VoIP Switch administration used to maintain changes, additions and deletions of over 3000 business VoIP customers.
- Set up Epik Networks’ first multi-staff Help Desk with staff across three cities in North America.
- Developed procedures which streamlined the handling of requests based on urgency and priority.
- Set up a call queuing mechanism to distribute incoming support calls across the three branches
Technical Environment: MS Exchange 2003, MS AD/DC/DNS Server, DNS, LAN, Spanning tree, Layer 2/3, Java
Role Breakdown: End-user support 70%, Systems Support 20%, Research 5%, Implementation 5%
Help Desk Advisor at University of Toronto
December 2006 – May 2008 (1 year 6 months)
- Troubleshooting clients’ email client(s), connectivity, VPN, wireless networking and other issues both in person and over the phone.
- Developed expert level knowledge of MS Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple/Mac Mail App, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and various proprietary wireless connection softwares.
- Helped clients resolve UTORmail (University of Toronto institutional email system) issues.
- Utilized BMC’s Remedy Incident Management System, and later transitioned to Request Tracker ticketing/incident management.
Technical Environment: Windows 98/2000/XP/Vista, Outlook 2003/2007, Remedy, Request Tracker, VPN
Telefundraiser at University of Toronto
October 2004 – January 2006 (1 year 4 months)
- Contacted University of Toronto Alumni for UofT Advancement for various fundraising campaigns.
- Often placed in the top 5 performers of the month list amongst the 90 telefundraisers.
Training Media Manager at University of Toronto
June 2005 – December 2005 (7 months)
- After submitting a detailed proposal, completed a 4 month long training video project which would aid in the continuous hiring process that the Call Centre faced. The video, entitled “The UofT Telefund Training Movie”, outlined various aspects of employment at the Call Centre and all the policies associated with it in a fun and captivating fashion. The video is viewed by all new employees in complete and clips are shown occasionally at the beginning of the shift to all current employees to aid in the continuous training process.
Database and Research Assistant at Nortel Networks
September 2000 – January 2001 (5 months)
- Developed queries in MS Access for customers using state-of-the-art hardware.
- Developed expert level knowledge of MS Access, MS Excel, MS FrontPage, MS Word and Seagate Crystal Reports.
- Co-developed and updated the Database Marketing Services department’s website.
- Acknowledged by manager as the fastest learning & most rapidly advancing co-op student.
- Co-developed a specialized 400 page information directory using Seagate Crystal Reports for internal use at Nortel Networks. This project required large amounts of data scrubbing, integrating numerous databases, and strategically designing the layout of the directory
Technical Environment: MS SQL Server, MS Excel, Access, Crystal Reports, Cluster, SAN, Dell Servers
University of Toronto
2002 – 2007
Honours Bachelor of Science
- Psychology and Near Middle Eastern Studies